Basic Extension Care
Hair extensions are an investment and can last a long time if properly care for. We have included a list of some basic guidelines to keep your extensions looking and feeling the best.
- You must clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo before installing the hair extensions. Conditioner should not be used before/during application of hair.
- Wait at least 72 hours before washing your hair after extension installation.
- Make sure to use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
- When using conditioner, condition from mid-shaft to ends only. Do not apply conditioner near the roots of your hair.
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions. This could cause the extensions to tangle. Make sure the hair is completely dry and pulled back into a low pony tail or put into a braid.
- Use a hair extension brush several times a day. Be sure to brush properly, holding the roots to prevent pulling on the tapes. Use a wide tooth comb to remove tangles if needed.
- Use high quality hair care products when styling your hair, but don't overdo it. Too much product can cause build up and tangling over time.
- Never use any products containing oil, alcohol, or ethanol as this can damage the quality of the hair and wear down on the adhesive.
- Use 100% natural hair products to keep extensions in good condition.
- When using serums or oils avoid contact with the tape, use on mid length to ends only.
- When styling with hot tools be sure to use a heat protectant spray to protect the quality of the hair.
- Do not use a flat iron directly on the tape tabs. This will weaken the bond and can cause the extensions to slip.
- Never lighten the hair extensions. If you decide to color the extensions only go within 2 shades DARKER.
- When working out with hair extensions or swimming with hair extensions, be sure to remove excess sweat and chlorine after working out.
- Every 6-10 weeks, your hair extensions will need to be reapplied to move the bonds closer to the scalp and to keep your natural hair healthy.
- Tape in extensions are not best for those who have lost significant amount of hair due to any illnesses or for those that have extreme hair thinning. Consult with your stylist about another option.
- A person's natural hair shedding averages 50-100 strands per day. You will see a small amount of naturally released hairs in between the tape bonds at time of removal.